It is essential to find a solid Bible-believing and Bible-preaching church to belong to. Those aren’t always easy to find. Compromise and worldliness are all-too-often found even in so-called evangelical churches.
On this page, there will be principles, then links where you can look to find a good church wherever you live, then some specific churches (in Collin County, TX), and then a list of things to AVOID because they are worse than the plague, Ebola, and Zika put together.
What should you look for in a church? First, you should see if they subscribe to and practice these 9 Marks of a Healthy Church (which is also an excellent book by Mark Dever). You can view Mark Dever’s 3-minute video about the subject of “Why these nine marks?”
Here is an excellent article on the Grace To You site called What Should I Look For When Choosing a New Church Home?
Here is a superb list of 25 questions to ask, found on the Wretched Radio site.
Links of where to find a good church
Where can you find a good church??? None of these are fool-proof methods, but they are excellent places to start:
- 9 Marks church search – plug in your zip code, and see what’s there
- Fellowship of Independent Reformed Evangelicals (FIRE) membership list – most of them should be good
- Association of Reformed Baptist Churches of America (ARBCA) – solid reformed brethren
- Southern Baptist “Founders” – these churches should be faithful churches as well
- more reformed baptist churches can be found on John Farese’s web site
- Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) – gospel-centered churches
- Orthodox Presbyterian (OP) – more conservative gospel churches
- Communion of Reformed Evangelical Churches (CREC) – more solid Presbyterian brethren
- You can find solid pastors on the alumni pages of excellent seminaries. This does not guarantee a good church, but it is certainly a place to look. See the pages of The Expositor’s Seminary and The Master’s Seminary.
- Solid biblical counselors usually attend a good church. Look up a counselor on the ACBC (NANC) site and see if they can recommend something.
If you are in Collin County (north of Dallas), here are some that you might consider (in alphabetical order):
- 1st Baptist Church, Parker (just east of Plano)
- Countryside Bible Church in Southlake isn’t in Collin County, but it’s a great place to go (north of Ft. Worth)
- Emmaus Church, Wylie (a new church, Oct. 2013)
- Grace and Peace Presbyterian, Anna
- Grace Bible Fellowship Church, Melissa
- Grace Life Church of Dallas, Plano
- Heritage Grace Community Church, Frisco
- Redeemer Presbyterian Church, McKinney
- Zoe Community Church, Allen (new church plant, and small, but a very solid gospel ministry)
Also check HERE for a list of other DFW-area churches to consider.
Charles Spurgeon said:
Don’t go where it is all fine music and grand talk and beautiful architecture; those things will neither fill anybody’s stomach, nor feed his soul. Go where the gospel is preached, the gospel that really feeds your soul, and go often.
You should see if they are a part of an apostate denomination. If they are, don’t go. By apostate, that means those that have left the faith. They don’t believe or preach the biblical gospel message of faith alone by grace alone in Christ alone. They don’t tell you about hell, or repentance (turning from sin), and trusting only in Jesus and His work of redemption. These “churches” won’t speak against the sins of homosexuality, and adultery, and fornication, and they won’t warn you about hell. They’re more interested in building empires and making people feel good than they are about the true conversion of sinners. These denominations to AVOID include:
- Roman Catholic – they’ve been perverting the gospel for over a thousand years – how? by adding works to faith, by adding sacraments to faith, and by putting tradition over the plain teaching of the Bible!
- United Methodist – liberal, having abandoned the Bible many years ago – John Wesley would turn over in his grave if he knew his movement had degenerated into this
- Presbyterian Church USA – another liberal group, who don’t teach and preach the Bible — note that some Presbyterian denominations are fine and faithful brethren
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America – not “evangelical” in any sense of the word, having embraced that which is vile in God’s sight
- Unitarian/Universalist – the most liberal of the liberal, a completely non-Christian and truly an anti-Christian group
- any denomination that is a member of the National Council of Churches, World Council of Churches, or the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice
- any other liberal / “mainline” denomination
- if it is “emergent” or “emerging”, run in the other direction
- certainly avoid any group that is a “health & wealth” or “your best life now” group, such as Benny Hinn, T.D. Jakes, Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer or any female “preacher” on TV, Paul/Jan Crouch, IHOP (International House of Prayer), NAR (New Apostolic Reformation), Bethel (Redding, CA), and the endless list of false teachers like them
- also stay about from the cults: Mormonism (LDS), Jehovah’s WItnesses (Watchtower), Scientology, Christian Science, United (“Oneness”) Pentecostal, and countless others
- flee from all these groups; RUN for your life (short video), run, don’t walk, in the other direction!
Also AVOID any church that:
- has women “pastors” – there is no such thing – God’s Word is clear that only men can be an elder/pastor/overseer in Christ’s church
- won’t stand against the popular sins of our day, including homosexuality, adultery, fornication, lust, pornography (including filthy movies and TV shows like “Game of Thrones”), abortion, drunkenness, gossip, greed, etc.
- won’t warn people about God’s wrath and the judgment of hell on unbelievers
- compromises with macro-evolution, and doesn’t believe in a literal Adam and Eve and the Fall of Man because of their sin
In the DFW area, avoid these: Bridgeway Baptist Church (Prosper), Cottonwood Creek Baptist Church (Allen), Hope Fellowship (Frisco, McKinney), Covenant Church (McKinney), The MVMNT (Allen), Create Church (Richardson), Fellowship Church (the Ed Young people), True Jesus Church (Allen, Dallas), and sadly too many others to list…..